I got back yesterday from Borocay. I had a really good weekend off. We went snorkeling, parasailing and cave hiking. I got a wicked farmer tan (well, more of a burn despite the fact I put on sunscreen twice before going outside) though because I was wearing a t-shirt over my swimsuit. The next day I put on sunscreen only up to the burn so that my shoulders would burn and I would have a normal tan. Didn't work. The top part of my shoulder burnt, but not all the way to the previous burn line. So now my arms are burnt and my shoulders are burnt, but there is a blindingly white stripe seperating the two. Add to that the burn on my face is now starting to peel. I look like such a dufus.
Snorkeling was super fun, I saw heaps of Nemos and Dories. My mask was broken though so I kept getting salt water in my mouth and up my nose. When I first put the mask on I started to hyperventilate because it stops you from being able to breathe through your nose and I felt like I was suffocating. My lungs were sore the whole day. After about half an hour though I felt more comfortable. I think the guide thought I was looney. After snorkeling we went to a private beach for a while. Just as I jumped out of the boat a wave came in and knocked me feet out from under me, thus planting me firmly on my butt in the water. The guide and boat driver had a good laugh.
The most awkward moment of my life happened to me the next morning. I won't go into detail because I would rather forget the whole thing. I went for a swim early in the morning before the other girls woke up. There was some great waves coming in and I ended up finding some little Filapino kids to pla with for a bit. After being there for about 45 minutes this guy came over and started talking to me, it was no bug deal because he was gay so I didn't feel threatened. That is until he told me he was a bisexual, gave me his hotel and room number and told me to meet him back there at 8pm. Yikes! Not my favourite moment. Needless to say I didn't go anywhere alone that night.
Other than that things are going well. I can't wait until our next clinic on Friday, I absolutely love working with the people. It is frustrating though because we don't have the chance to follow up on the patients we see. So please pray that our one-time efforts will be sufficient to help them and also pray that we would make the right choices for treatment. It is difficult to know what to do with patients you know can only be helped with longterm care. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers
Tuesday, July 04, 2006
BACK TO WORK
at 2:44 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hi, glad to hear you had a nice week-end, you probably needed some down time. BUT, stop being so friendly with everyone you meet. There are a lot of strange people out there!!! Don't burn yourself out and that will be hard to do because you will find it very difficult not to get emotionally connected to these people. Take care and your "old" lady friends are still asking about you.
Uncle Gale and Aunt Sharon
I was wondering where you'd gone! Glad to hear it was a momentous occasion - I recall my experiences snorkelling - all was well until mammoth shark showed on the scene! You know the story!
And about your "friend" wow, you sure can pick them!! Ha. Freaky as it was - I think the idea of "american" women in these countries is that we're ALL into that sort of thing.
I guess we get to be the proof that some women have morals and boundaries!
Okay this should have been an email - I wrote a book!
Love you.
good to hear you had a good time snorkeling . continue to help and have good feelings about what you are doing and remember to be safe at all times ubas&c
Hi,Chantal:
Dad and I just got home today,and
we were glad to read up on your adventures.sounds like you are still having a great time. But,do be careful.
Love:mom and dad
Post a Comment