Just a short little aside to the usual things I post on my blog.
Things have changed a lot in our society. Things are always changing, I know, but every once and a while I see something that reminds of the way things used to be.
During the break I was back at home where there was cable tv. I was lucky enough to catch a "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" marathon. In one of the episodes, Ashley, Will's 16 year old cousin is on a date. Earlier in the episode, she had told her friends that it might be "the night". On this date her and her boyfriend take a drive and end up looking over some cliff thing, and they are just talking. It comes out that Ashley thought this would be "the night" since her boyfriend was moving away. They have this awkward "Are you ready", "Uh, well are you ready" scene. They go back and forth like this a bit and then Ashleys says that she is not ready to have sex yet. And I was shocked, but also pleased when the audience all cheered. I don't know if it was a real audience or not, but the point they were making was that it was a good thing not to have sex. Now I don't have time to watch much tv, but in the bits that I see and hear about it seems like not having sex isn't even an option anymore. The Fresh Prince isn't even that old. Perhaps, if we are lucky, history will repeat itself and we can go back to the time when children had a mother and a father, and a girl getting pregnant at 13 was unheard of.
Another pleasantly surpirsing moment for me occurred while watching "The Jungle Book". Bagheera, the panther, says "There is no love greater than this, that a man lays down his life for a friend." It made my night.
Wednesday, January 02, 2008
SIDE NOTE: TIMES HAVE CHANGED
at 12:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment